It’s the last week of school! Want to do a garden activity with your class? Here are some ideas:
We have scavenger hunts ready to print for everyone. Some with specific curriculum review in mind, others are more general:
- 5th Grade: Ecosystems Scavenger Hunt. or see it in Google Docs.
- 4th Grade: Animal Studies Review Garden Activity Sheet. or see it in Google Docs.
- 3rd Grade or anyone: General Scavenger Hunt, or see it in Google Docs.
- Other Grades. Open-ended Scavenger Hunt, or use the General One above. Google DocsGoogle Docs.
Tasting or Smelling Comparison
- TASTE: They can taste different plants: different types of lettuce, chard, kale, mustard, parsley, what tastes best?
- SMELL: Have them rub their hand on a sprig of herb and smell it. What does it make them think of? We have sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme, parsley, lavender.
5 Senses Tour
Add just a few activities to the tasting and smelling to do all 5 senses:
- LISTEN:. They may hear birds, bees buzzing, wind, squirrels, etc. (tie into eco-systems if you want)
- LOOK: how many colors can they find? How many types of flowers? Can they find a snap pea in the climbing peas – they are a little bit camouflaged.
- FEEL: Touch different types of leaves – are they smooth, fuzzy, soft, firm, prickly, etc.